I was given a task to analyze the effect of natural ventilation due to external wind inside a 3 storey departmental store and also its effect on the surroundings. The domain had chairs, stairs, people, computers, etc normalized as standard geometric shapes. The characteristics associated with the CFD simulation are as follows:
· Discretized a flow domain enclosure for the departmental store geometry using snappyHexMesh in SimScale with 7 million cells refining chairs, stairs, desks, computers, and people.
· Solved for an inlet wind jet of 4m/s with store windows open on one side of the jet entrance and closed on the other side.
· Examined airflow with SIMPLE algorithm, and k-omega SST model with probe points at critical locations for convergence.
· Concluded that inlet jet characteristics keep the velocities in the ASHRAE comfort range of 0.2-1m/s. Gaps between floors & open windows facilitate air exchange. The entrance area receives high air velocities which can cause discomfort.
· Regions of circular flows near walls and corners facilitate ventilation. Open windows disrupt wake just outside and in the far back. Negative pressure zones and recirculation affects up to 2x the dimensions of the store normal to the flow.